Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Devotion #3...from Adam

I was reading this morning and was struck by a story that I have read more than once.

John 5: 1-12
This is the story of a lame man that Jesus heals. After the man is healed Jesus tells him to take his mat and walk home. The religious leaders, of course, had a problem with this because it was the Sabbath. They said to him, “You can’t work on the Sabbath! The law doesn’t allow you to carry that sleeping mat!” I love his response. “The man who healed me told me, ‘Pick up your mat and walk.’”

He didn’t know who told him… only that is was the man that healed him. The question that struck me was, “whom are we listening to?” Are we listening to our notions of what is right and wrong? Or, are we listening to the One who healed us?

Man of us are devoted to our convictions rather that to what God said. I pray that we are listening to Jesus and not our own ideas and notions.

Let us pay close attention to the One that saves us.

No comments: